Service Overview

Purchasing Card Transaction Approval
Cost Centers will submit Purchasing Card transactions in Workday with all supporting documentation in an Expense Report(ER#). The BSC will review the ER# and approve if complete.

Cost Centers will submit pre-travel authorization in a Workday Spend Authorization(SA#) and will arrange all travel. The BSC will review the SA# for compliance. After trip completion, the Cost Center will submit a travel reimbursement in Workday with an Expense Report(ER#) for BSC approval.

Non-Travel Reimbursements
Cost Center faculty or staff will submit an Expense Report(ER#) in Workday with the supporting documentation and a business purpose. The BSC will review for compliance and approve.


Contact our staff

Workday serves as a single destination for most of your HR, payroll, finance and supply chain requests.

To access Workday, visit

For job aids specific to financial transactions, travel, supply chain and HR please go to

Miscellaneous payment requests can be used in unique circumstances when a payment must be made to an entity which is not an Ohio State supplier. Miscellaneous payment requests can be used in the following situations:

  • Affiliate payment
  • Charitable donation
  • Conference registration (when PCard or reimbursement is not an option)
  • Employee assistance (non-payroll, non-supplier taxable payments to employees)
  • Honorarium
  • Human subject
  • Petty cash / human subject advance​​
  • Refund
  • Relocation payment
  • Royalties and commissions
  • Stipend
  • Student awards
  • Student organization payments
  • Wire transfers

*If a person/organization already has a supplier ID then you must use a non-PO invoice request (SIR)

How to initiate a miscellaneous payment:

Non-PO invoice requests (SIR) can be used in unique circumstances when a purchase order is not necessary to make payment to a supplier. Examples of non-PO invoice requests include:

  • BuckID merchant reimbursements
  • Commission payments (external ticket sales)
  • Dues and memberships
  • Legal services
  • Library acquisitions
  • Medical services/insurance for student athletes
  • Utilities (energy)
  • Utilities (non-energy)

How to initiate a non-PO invoice request:

All contract, independent contractor agreements plus terms and conditions associated with the use of a purchasing card or a purchase order must be entered in OnBase by the ASC Business Services Center. These must be reviewed and signed by central University Purchasing and the vendor prior to any use of a purchasing card or issuance of a purchase order.

Terms and conditions submission form

Expedited Review Process

This is optional, and the traditional submission process listed above can still be used.

When the Expedited Review Process is Available

Suppliers may request a signature from The Ohio State University via an agreement, Statement of Work (SOW), Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), or Terms & Conditions when making a purchase.

If ALL of the following criteria are met, an expedited review process is available for obtaining signature:

  • The purchase is less than $5,000
  • The purchase falls within at least one of the following Spend Categories
    • SC10663 – Education and Training – Conference Registration
    • SC10671 – Food – Restaurants and Catering (only restaurants and caterers outside of Columbus and Internal Suppliers)
    • SC10726 – Meeting Facilities Rental (if a hotel rental, only non-Columbus hotels and Internal Suppliers)
    • SC10736 – Hotels and Lodging (only lodging outside of Columbus and Internal Suppliers)
    • SC10737 – Entertainment Services (only entertainment services outside of Columbus)
  • Supplier agrees to attach Disclaimer Language to the agreement
  • Senior Fiscal Officer (SFO) has reviewed and signed the agreement
  • If the purchase is made under a Grant, and any part of the purchase is not allowable under the Grant, related expenses are the responsibility of the Unit. Contact the Grants Shared Service Center with questions.

If all of these criteria are NOT met, please refer to the following resources:

NRA Guest & External Supplier (SPL) Cost Center Request Process (This is ONLY for NRA Travel Reimbursements/Honorarium Payments and SIR (Non-PO Invoice Requests)
Updated July 20, 2023

*This is NOT required for Workday Miscellaneous Payment Requests (MP) for US citizens/organizations. The cost center initiator will search for “Create Miscellaneous Payee” in Workday, complete and submit the payee request.

*If the payment is to be funded by an OSP grant, please reach out to for the supplier request.

*NRA services which require a purchase order/requisition do NOT follow this process.

When is a new supplier needed?

  • All NRA payments, including a wire for honorarium, travel/non-travel reimbursements.
  • A new supplier is needed for an SIR (non-PO Invoice Requests) for non-recurring small dollar onetime services (external reviewers, referee payments, musicians, article reviewers) and memberships that cannot be paid via PCard.

New Supplier Request

  1. Please search in Workday to ensure there is not an existing supplier ID (SPL). If there is not an existing SPL, follow the below steps.
  2. For NRA payments please refer to the NRA Checklist for additional forms that may be needed when they travel to the U.S.
  3. The Cost Center representative will send an e-mail to Erica Conley, All required forms need attached, and a business purpose for the supplier request. The below are links to forms which may be needed depending on the scenario. For data security, the email must come from an OSU address.
    • Ohio State Supplier Maintenance Form
    • Foreign Entity W-8BEN Form
    • If this is for a onetime small dollar service (referee payments/external evaluators, author reviews/royalty payments for an NRA only) the OPERS form is required.
      • The OPERS form is NOT needed for NRA honoraria payments.
      • For Ohio State, the "employer code" is 1641, but the employer contact would be the name and phone number of the contact as set up with the vendor.
  4. The OPERS form requires a wet signature. The others can be obtained via Docusign.
  5. A service center representative will complete the Supplier Request in Workday.
  6. Once a supplier number (SPL#) is created the service center fiscal associate will notify the cost center representative, or if additional information is needed to complete the SPL#.

Changing/Updating an Active Supplier

The BSC does not change existing Workday suppliers. The unit will send an email with the changes (address etc.) to

NRA/Wire Payments

All NRA payments including wire payments need to be submitted directly to AP using a form. The cost center representative will submit the request directly to OSU CAP Banking with the AP Wire & NRA Payment Request Form.

*This is NOT required for a Miscellaneous Payment Request. The cost center initiator will search for “Create Miscellaneous Payee” in Workday, complete and submit the payee request.

Non-Resident Alien (NRA) checklist

*If the payment is to be funded by an OSP grant, please reach out to for the supplier request.

*This is NOT for NRA services which require a purchase order/requisition.

A supplier ID is required for Non-Resident Alien (NRA) guests. This is different than the External Committee Member (ECM) needed to set up the Spend Authorization. If there is no supplier ID for the individual, one will need requested. All required forms need submitted to Erica Conley with the business purpose, and specify if they are getting a reimbursement, or payment for an honorarium/SIR onetime service etc. Please refer to the latest Ohio State supplier maintenance checklist which outlines scenarios indicating what forms are required.

Cost Center Honorarium/SIR (Non-PO Invoice Request) Processing Steps:

  1. Ensure the NRA guest has an active supplier ID (SPL#).
  2. Submit the Non-Resident Alien (NRA) payment request form plus any supplemental documentation including but not limited to an invite or communication to the guest indicating what Ohio State will be offering for the honorarium or the SIR (article reviewer/external reviewer/article referee/musician) invoice to for the payment to be processed.
    • No action in Workday by the cost center should be taken. The form will be the payment request.
    • The Chair/Director of the cost center will sign the form for approval.

Cost Center Travel Reimbursement Processing Steps:

  1. Submit an Expense Report (ER#) for the expenses linked to the Spend Authorization (SA#) and External Committee Member (ECM) with all expense lines requested. A line must be added as “Travel Incidentals” as a credit offset debit amount which will “zero” out the reimbursement total. Please add in the memo, “NRA Reimbursement”. Example:
    Reimbursement Processing Steps
  2. Once the ER# is approved in Workday by the service center, the completed Non-Resident Alien (NRA) payment request form in addition to the PDF of the approved Workday Travel Expense Report (ER#) must be sent by the cost center to for the payment to be processed. This step must happen for payment. The approval of the ER# does not release a payment.

Submitting AP Payment Requests

Non-Resident Alien (NRA) payment request form

When airfare is being charged to a federal contract or grant, travelers must be in compliance with the Fly America Act. Compliance is signified by the United States Flag Air Carrier’s code which must be noted as part of the flight number on the airline ticket or passenger receipt. Each airline has a two letter alpha code. For example, United Airlines has a code of “UA”. On an airline ticket or passenger receipt, this two digit code is designated just to the left of the flight number (e.g. UA 10). From the list of U.S. Flag Air Carriers below, you will be able to compare airline codes on the ticket with those on the list and ascertain whether or not the flight is on a U.S. Flag Air Carrier.

  • Airtran Airways (FL)
  • Alaska Airlines (AS)
  • American Airlines (AA)
  • Delta Airlines (DL)
  • Frontier Airlines (F9)
  • Hawaiian Airlines (HA)
  • Southwest Airlines (WN)
  • Spirit Airlines (NK)
  • United Airlines (UA)

The only allowable exception is if travel is supported by federal funds, travelers may choose to fly European Union airlines as long as they touch down in an EU country. A list of current member countries of the European Union is available at the Europa web site.

Please note: Travelers whose funding is coming from the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) are not permitted to take advantage of Open Sky Agreements.

Alcohol and Event Guidelines

There is always risk whenever alcohol is provided at an event, and therefore, we ask that all events within Arts and Sciences refrain from serving or reimbursing for alcohol when students are among the primary participants or focus of the event. In events where students are present, the event should be managed with due care to ensure the safety of all persons attending and the public. Because staff (including student employees) and faculty members through their employment relationship are representatives of the university and the college, they are expected to uphold the standards and policy promulgated by university in its policies (Drug-Free Workplace Policy 7.30, Expenditures Policy #4.11, and Chapter 3335-23 Code of Student Conduct) and the college in its procedures in hosting and/or attending college sponsored events. Events are a sponsored event if the resources (materials, time, systems) of the college or university are used and communications have the name, logo or identifying marks of the college or university.

The university has specific guidelines regarding alcohol for events held on University property. These guidelines should be reviewed before planning an event.

Prior approval from the Office of Business and Finance must be obtained if alcohol is to be served at a university event in a non-permanently licensed campus location, e.g., atrium, conference room. To arrange for such approval, a request must be submitted to the college office at least four (4) weeks before scheduling the event.

The “Authorization to serve alcohol” request form and instructions may be found here.

Alcohol may not be served at the event until the department receives written B&F approval. Approval should not be assumed.

Procedure for requesting permission to purchase alcohol off campus, such as at departmental holiday parties held off campus, require prior approval- even if at a personal residence. While the Authorization to Serve Alcohol form is not needed for this instance, because there will be alcohol served at someone’s home, the University’s Risk Management team would want to ensure that there are certain items in place to reduce the university’s liability. Number one being that the homeowner’s insurance can cover the event, and if not, that a rider be added for coverage. That along with the documented safety procedures that would be in place need to be approved by Risk Management.

Business meals at off campus locations (restaurants) do not require prior approval, but reimbursement will not be made if it does not comply with the University reimbursement policy (See, Expenditures Policy #4.11).

  1. Alcohol purchases must be justified for business-related purposes, e.g., business meals or university events.
  2. Alcohol purchases must be charged to discretionary funds and include the alcohol spend category and commodity code. Conference (earnings) funds may also be used if the reception, meal, or similar event is included in the registration fee paid by the attendee.
  3. Alcoholic beverages CANNOT be charged to sponsored projects.
  4. Amounts expended for the purchase of alcohol must not exceed $25 per person (excluding tax and tip). Spending in excess of the per person limit could result in not being reimbursed the overage amount or being required to reimburse the University if a PCard was the method of payment and the exception to policy is not approved by the dean.
  5. Alcohol expense is approved for dinner only, not for lunch meals.
  6. The number of invitees to a business meal should be kept to a reasonably justified minimum. As a guideline, five to seven (5-7) participants plus the guest should be the maximum. Additional attendees may be approved as an exception with documented support and approval by the dean.

Department Leaders, Cost Center Managers and PCard Managers are responsible for broadly distributing and establishing a culture of adherence to the University Expenditures Policy.

Cost Center Managers for each unit are responsible for ensuring requests adhere to policy and are within available unit budgets. This includes all transaction types i.e., PCard, reimbursement requests.

  • Alcohol Procedure
    • The purchase of alcohol in connection with university business is discouraged. If alcohol is considered necessary, due care must be exercised.
    • Alcohol can only be charged to discretionary funds. Alcohol may be purchased with funds from an earnings conference fund, if the reception, meal, or similar event at which the alcohol will be served is included in the registration fee paid by the attendees.
    • Alcohol purchases must have documented approval in Workday of a unit leader, chief administrative officer, or senior fiscal officer. Per the ASC Delegation of Signature Authority, the unit’s assigned Finance Manager will provide the documented approval in Workday once the transaction is submitted. Cost Center Managers approving the transaction via Workday for the unit must click “Add Approver” and select their Finance Manager by searching for their name. The Finance Manager will review and approve. The ASC Business Services Center will ensure compliance with university policy when processing transactions.
    • Amounts expended for the purchase of alcohol is limited to $25 per person, excluding taxes and tip.
    • Alcohol purchased for resale by areas with liquor permits (e.g., Blackwell Inn, Fawcett Center, golf course, unions) or for medical or research use is not subject to the above requirements.


These guidelines apply to employee recognition events throughout the year and to celebrations over the holidays.

Office of the President Faculty and Staff Appreciation Guidance

Travel Policy

The objective of the Travel Policy is to ensure efficiency and fiscal accountability for university business travel. 

The university will pay for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred for authorized business travel. 

Create a Spend Authorization

Find and View Spend Authorization

Edit or Change Spend Authorization

Cancel or Close Spend Authorization

General Information 

  • All travel requires an approved Spend Authorization(SA#) in WorkDay prior to departure.
  • All travel expenses paid with university funds must comply with the University’s Expenditures, PCard, Internal Controls, Purchasing, and Human Resources policies. 
  • Travelers need to familiarize themselves with the travel policy prior to making travel arrangements. 
  • Travelers need to work with travel arrangers or cost center managers to make sure his/her travel plans meet the travel policy requirements. 
  • Travel arrangers/business managers need to be proactive and ask questions regarding travel plans in advance of departure. 
  • Policy exceptions are to be occasional and non-recurring. Multiple infractions may prompt loss of partial or full reimbursement. 


Establish an SA# prior to departure and use of Ohio State payment methods for travel expenses (airfare, registration, etc).

Personal Travel in Conjunction with Business Travel 

  • Ohio State will only pay/reimburse expenses incurred at locations/times specific to the business purpose. 
  • Ohio State will not prepay any personal expenses unless documentation verifies there is no increase in cost. 
  • Cost variances in expenses such as airfare, car rental and lodging must be clearly documented. 

University Travel Comparison Worksheet

Third-Party Payments 

Prepayments are not allowed if there will be payment of expenses or reimbursement to the traveler by a third party. 

Cash Advance 

A cash advance may be issued to a traveler when expenses would cause a financial hardship. Review the Travel Policy for examples of allowable circumstances and additional policy requirements (link below). 

Cash Advance Process

Cash advance reconciliation must be reconciled with an expense report in Workday.

Foreign currency should be substantiated by credit card statement or currency conversion if cash was used.

Ohio State contracted agencies are required for Ohio State employees and guests.

University travelers should incur the lowest reasonable rental car expenses that meet the business needs.

  • Contracted Rental Car Agency: DW/CDW/LDW and liability insurance is included.

The university contracted suppliers for vehicle rental services include: Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Hertz Car Rental.

Toll Free Numbers for reservations:

Enterprise: 800-261-7331
National: 877-222-9058
Hertz: 800-704-4473

  • Non-Contracted AgencyPurchase of the DW/CDW/LDW and liability insurance is required as personal insurance coverage is not sufficient in providing the coverage listed above.

Failure to purchase the required insurance coverage is a policy violation requiring college-level exception approval. If the exception is denied, the traveler may only receive partial or no reimbursement or be required to reimburse the cost to the university in the case where a procurement card was used as method of purchase.

A screen shot is required showing contracted agencies were not available.

Under no circumstances is PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) or RAP (Roadside Assistance Protection) ever reimbursable.

GPS payment /reimbursement is at the discretion of the department on UNIV funds, but unallowable on OSP grant funding.

For all rental car purchases you must provide the following items in order to be reimbursed:

  • Original, itemized receipts
  • Fully executed rental agreement signed by traveler indicating DW/CDW/LDW and Liability insurance was purchased (must include the cost, dates and travel locations).
  • When a rental car is uses as the principle mode of transportation, justification is required to demonstrate that the automobile is more economical than any other type of transportation.
  • Your departmental travel arranger must reinforce these guidelines to you as you plan your trip or if you are hosting a visitor. All visitors should be made aware of these guidelines and they should take advantage of the Ohio State contracts with Enterprise, National and Hertz.

The objective of the Travel Policy is to ensure efficiency and fiscal accountability for university business travel. The University will pay for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred for authorized business travel. 


Reimbursement of travel expenses must be supported by original, itemized receipts where required. 

Personal funds used must be submitted in Workday for reimbursement within 60 days of the expense being paid or incurred per the Ohio State policy.

The traveler must submit a request for reimbursement with supporting documentation within 60 days of the return date in Workday. Travel Arrangers should work with travelers to ensure they comply with this policy. 

Reimbursements that exceed the travel estimate by 20% or more will be reviewed by the cost center manager for approval in Workday.

Cash Advancement Reconciliation 

Cash advance expenses must be documented with original, itemized receipts (or equivalent documentation) and must be reconciled within one month of the return date in Workday. 

Any cash in excess of approved reimbursable expenses must be returned to the appropriate departmental account or sponsored project within the same one month period. 

Third Party Payments 

Travel expenses covered by a third party must be documented in Workday.

Record Retention 

All required documentation is to be stored in the eTravel system. Original documentation held by the department may be destroyed 60 days after verification the payment has been made. 

Policy exceptions are to be occasional and non-recurring. Multiple infractions may prompt loss of partial or full reimbursement. 

Departments will continue to arrange travel, and faculty and staff will continue to provide receipts to departmental staff upon their return. Departmental fiscal staff will provide the detailed documentation to the BSC for reimbursement processing. The Cost Center is responsible for:

  • Obtain and organize all original itemized receipts and documentation. Verify legitimacy according to University Travel Policy which can be found here.
  • Please provide translation of receipts if necessary
  • An Expense Report (ER#) is submitted in Workday by the traveler or cost center representative for BSC review and approval.

Refer to Ohio State Travel Website for travel policy info and forms.