Univ Purchasing Card Transaction Approval
Cost Centers will submit Purchasing Card transactions in Workday with all supporting documentation in an Expense Report(ER#). The BSC will review the ER# and approve if complete.
Cost Centers will submit pre-travel authorization in a Workday Spend Authorization(SA#) and will arrange all travel. The BSC will review the SA# for compliance. After trip completion, the Cost Center will submit a travel reimbursement in Workday with an Expense Report(ER#) for BSC approval.
Cost Center faculty or staff will submit an Expense Report(ER#) in Workday with the supporting documentation and a business purpose. The BSC will review for compliance and approve.
Workday serves as a single destination for most of your HR, payroll, finance and supply chain requests.
To access Workday, visit workday.osu.edu.
For job aids specific to financial transactions, travel, supply chain and HR please go to admin.resources.osu.edu/workday
Miscellaneous payment requests can be used in unique circumstances when a payment must be made to an entity which is not an Ohio State supplier. Miscellaneous payment requests can be used in the following situations:
- Affiliate payment
- Charitable donation
- Conference registration (when PCard or reimbursement is not an option)
- Employee assistance (non-payroll, non-supplier taxable payments to employees)
- Human subject
- Petty cash / human subject advance
- Relocation payment
- Royalties and commissions
- Student awards
- Student organization payments
- Wire transfers
*If a person/organization already has a supplier ID then you must use a non-PO invoice request (SIR)
How to initiate a miscellaneous payment:
Non-PO invoice requests (SIR) can be used in unique circumstances when a purchase order is not necessary to make payment to a supplier. Examples of non-PO invoice requests include:
- BuckID merchant reimbursements
- Commission payments (external ticket sales)
- Dues and memberships
- Legal services
- Library acquisitions
- Medical services/insurance for student athletes
- Utilities (energy)
- Utilities (non-energy)
How to initiate a non-PO invoice request:
All contract, independent contractor agreements plus terms and conditions associated with the use of a purchasing card or a purchase order must be entered in OnBase by the ASC Business Services Center. These must be reviewed and signed by central University Purchasing and the vendor prior to any use of a purchasing card or issuance of a purchase order.
Arts and Sciences Cost Center process on how to request a new External Supplier in Workday for what was formally known as a convenience order for onetime services and NRA payments.
When is a new supplier needed?
- All NRA payments, including a wire.
- A new supplier is needed for an SIR. (Non-recurring small dollar onetime services, memberships that cannot be paid via PCard)
- A supplier was approved in PeopleSoft but did not convert over to Workday.
New Supplier Request
- The Cost Center representative will send an e-mail to Erica Conley, firstname.lastname@example.org and cc. Kelley Maynard at Maynard.email@example.com. All required forms need to be attached, indication if a wire is needed, and a business purpose for the supplier request is needed. Signatures on the forms can be obtained via Docusign. For data security, the email must come from an Ohio State address.
- Ohio State Vendor Maintenance Form
- Foreign Entity W-8 Form:
- If this is for a onetime small dollar service (referee payments/external evaluators, author reviews/royalty payments for an NRA only) the OPERS form is required.
- The OPERS form is NOT needed for honoraria payments.
- For NRA payments please refer to the NRA Checklist for additional forms that may be needed when they travel to the U.S.
- The OPERS form requires a wet signature. The others can be obtained via Docusign.
- A service center representative will complete the Supplier Request in Workday.
Once a supplier number (SPL#) is created the service center fiscal associate will notify the cost center representative, or if additional information is needed to complete the SPL#.
Existing Active Supplier from Peoplesoft
We have found some vendor ID’s did not convert to Workday. If you have one of those please follow the below process.
- The Cost Center representative will email Erica Conley, firstname.lastname@example.org and cc. Kelley Maynard at Maynard.email@example.com with the business purpose, name, and PeopleSoft vendor ID.
- Once a supplier number (SPL#) is created the service center fiscal associate will notify the cost center representative, or if additional information is needed to complete the SPL#.
Changing/Updating an Active Supplier
The BSC does not change existing Workday suppliers. The unit will send an email with the changes (address etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org
All NRA payments including wire payments need to be submitted directly to AP using a form. The cost center representative will submit the request directly to Ohio State CAP Banking with the AP Wire & NRA Payment Request Form.
*This is NOT required for a Miscellaneous Payment Request. The cost center initiator will search for “Create Miscellaneous Payee” in Workday, complete and submit the payee request.
This information is available for download here: Requesting External Suppliers
When airfare is being charged to a federal contract or grant, travelers must be in compliance with the Fly America Act. Compliance is signified by the United States Flag Air Carrier’s code which must be noted as part of the flight number on the airline ticket or passenger receipt. Each airline has a two letter alpha code. For example, United Airlines has a code of “UA”. On an airline ticket or passenger receipt, this two digit code is designated just to the left of the flight number (e.g. UA 10). From the list of U.S. Flag Air Carriers below, you will be able to compare airline codes on the ticket with those on the list and ascertain whether or not the flight is on a U.S. Flag Air Carrier.
- Airtran Airways (FL)
- Alaska Airlines (AS)
- American Airlines (AA)
- Delta Airlines (DL)
- Frontier Airlines (F9)
- Hawaiian Airlines (HA)
- Southwest Airlines (WN)
- Spirit Airlines (NK)
- United Airlines (UA)
The only allowable exception is if travel is supported by federal funds, travelers may choose to fly European Union airlines as long as they touch down in an EU country. A list of current member countries of the European Union is available at the Europa web site.
Please note: Travelers whose funding is coming from the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) are not permitted to take advantage of Open Sky Agreements.
The objective of the Travel Policy is to ensure efficiency and fiscal accountability for university business travel.
The university will pay for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred for authorized business travel.
Find and View Spend Authorization
Edit or Change Spend Authorization
Cancel or Close Spend Authorization
- All travel requires an approved Spend Authorization(SA#) in WorkDay prior to departure.
- All travel expenses paid with university funds must comply with the University’s Expenditures, PCard, Internal Controls, Purchasing, and Human Resources policies.
- Travelers need to familiarize themselves with the travel policy prior to making travel arrangements.
- Travelers need to work with travel arrangers or cost center managers to make sure his/her travel plans meet the travel policy requirements.
- Travel arrangers/business managers need to be proactive and ask questions regarding travel plans in advance of departure.
- Policy exceptions are to be occasional and non-recurring. Multiple infractions may prompt loss of partial or full reimbursement.
Establish an SA# prior to departure and use of Ohio State payment methods for travel expenses (airfare, registration, etc).
Personal Travel in Conjunction with Business Travel
- Ohio State will only pay/reimburse expenses incurred at locations/times specific to the business purpose.
- Ohio State will not prepay any personal expenses unless documentation verifies there is no increase in cost.
- Cost variances in expenses such as airfare, car rental and lodging must be clearly documented.
University Travel Comparison Worksheet
Arts and Sciences Travel Comparison Form
Prepayments are not allowed if there will be payment of expenses or reimbursement to the traveler by a third party.
A cash advance may be issued to a traveler when expenses would cause a financial hardship. Review the Travel Policy for examples of allowable circumstances and additional policy requirements (link below).
Cash advance reconciliation must be reconciled with an expense report in Workday.
Foreign currency should be substantiated by credit card statement or currency conversion if cash was used.
Ohio State contracted agencies are required for Ohio State employees and guests.
University travelers should incur the lowest reasonable rental car expenses that meet the business needs.
- Contracted Rental Car Agency: DW/CDW/LDW and liability insurance is included.
The university contracted suppliers for vehicle rental services include: Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Hertz Car Rental.
Toll Free Numbers for reservations:
- Non-Contracted Agency: Purchase of the DW/CDW/LDW and liability insurance is required as personal insurance coverage is not sufficient in providing the coverage listed above.
Failure to purchase the required insurance coverage is a policy violation requiring college-level exception approval. If the exception is denied, the traveler may only receive partial or no reimbursement or be required to reimburse the cost to the university in the case where a procurement card was used as method of purchase.
A screen shot is required showing contracted agencies were not available.
Under no circumstances is PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) or RAP (Roadside Assistance Protection) ever reimbursable.
GPS payment /reimbursement is at the discretion of the department on UNIV funds, but unallowable on OSP grant funding.
For all rental car purchases you must provide the following items in order to be reimbursed:
- Original, itemized receipts
- Fully executed rental agreement signed by traveler indicating DW/CDW/LDW and Liability insurance was purchased (must include the cost, dates and travel locations).
- When a rental car is uses as the principle mode of transportation, justification is required to demonstrate that the automobile is more economical than any other type of transportation.
- Your departmental travel arranger must reinforce these guidelines to you as you plan your trip or if you are hosting a visitor. All visitors should be made aware of these guidelines and they should take advantage of the Ohio State contracts with Enterprise, National and Hertz.
The objective of the Travel Policy is to ensure efficiency and fiscal accountability for university business travel. The University will pay for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred for authorized business travel.
Reimbursement of travel expenses must be supported by original, itemized receipts where required.
Personal funds used must be submitted in Workday for reimbursement within 60 days of the expense being paid or incurred per the Ohio State policy.
The traveler must submit a request for reimbursement with supporting documentation within 60 days of the return date in Workday. Travel Arrangers should work with travelers to ensure they comply with this policy.
Reimbursements that exceed the travel estimate by 20% or more will be reviewed by the cost center manager for approval in Workday.
Cash Advancement Reconciliation
Cash advance expenses must be documented with original, itemized receipts (or equivalent documentation) and must be reconciled within one month of the return date in Workday.
Any cash in excess of approved reimbursable expenses must be returned to the appropriate departmental account or sponsored project within the same one month period.
Third Party Payments
Travel expenses covered by a third party must be documented in Workday.
All required documentation is to be stored in the eTravel system. Original documentation held by the department may be destroyed 60 days after verification the payment has been made.
Policy exceptions are to be occasional and non-recurring. Multiple infractions may prompt loss of partial or full reimbursement.
Departments will continue to arrange travel, and faculty and staff will continue to provide receipts to departmental staff upon their return. Departmental fiscal staff will provide the detailed documentation to the BSC for reimbursement processing. The Cost Center is responsible for:
- Obtain and organize all original itemized receipts and documentation. Verify legitimacy according to University Travel Policy which can be found here.
- Please provide translation of receipts if necessary
- An Expense Report (ER#) is submitted in Workday by the traveler or cost center representative for BSC review and approval.
Refer to Ohio State Travel Website for travel policy info and forms.