The Research Administration Network (RAN) is an online collective of the research administrative community across The Ohio State University Research Enterprise. It draws from all colleges, departments, units and centers. It aims to build connections, seek solutions, grow understanding, foster best practices, maintain compliance, and support the mission of research.
The RAN is housed in an internal Microsoft Team. That Team has a collection of channels devoted to different topics: Training, Post-Award, Pre-Award. The Training channel puts on the RADS training series. The Post-Award channel (PAC) hosts 6 online meetings a year on a variety of topics.
To be added to the RAN or to get more information on it or any of the associated channels, search for it in Microsoft Teams. If you need additional support finding it or you are on the Medical site, we can walk you through finding it from there. Email Amy Raubenolt (email@example.com) or Karla Gengler-Nowak (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once you are in, feel free to start posting your questions in the channels and interacting with others in that space.
- Aimee Nielsen-Link, Associate Director, Sponsored Programs
- Amy Dudley, Director of ESPS, Sponsored Programs
- Lori Kaser, Associate Director, FAES
- Jared Port, Director, Research Services, College of Arts & Sciences
- Karla Gengler-Nowak, Grants & Contracts Administrator, College of Optometry
- Tess Hainsey, Assistant Director, Research Services, College of Medicine
This long-standing training series features topics of use for research administrators (and often fiscal staff) throughout the academic year. Signups are through BuckeyeLearn and trainings are held zia Zoom. Check back later this summer for the 2023-24 schedule. The 2022-23 schedule featured topics such as Animal Care and Use, F&A Rate Negotiation, NIH Foreign Component, Paying Human Subjects, Compliance, Purchasing, information on the Office of Innovation and Economic Development, Internal Audit, and much more.
Founded in 2021 to solve solutions collaboratively, the PAC has grown from a group of 3 to a robust steering committee of 12 that plans 6 meetings a year. Meetings are held on the Microsoft Teams channel and feature topics such as Workday reporting for Research Administrators, new guide for RPPRs, scheduling reports, proposed PAPPG changes, consultant/supplier process, tracking cost share, and so much more.
2023-24 Steering Committee
- Amy Raubenolt, Assistant Director Research Services
- Elysabeth Bonar Bouton, Senior Grants Administrator Social Work
- Karla Gengler-Nowak, Grants & Contract Administrator Optometry
- Adam Adam-Grooms, Financial Operations Advisor Social Work
- Shanna Lafontaine, Sponsored Program Officer
- Jessica Tweed, Sponsored Program Officer
- Brock Davis, Senior Grants and Contracts Specialist, College of Medicine
- Ally Kaufman, Grants & Contracts Management Analyst, Social Work
- Mark Wesney, Senior Grants Sourcing Consultant
- Kimberly Nolletti, Grants & Contracts Management Analyst, FAES
- Sunny Zong, Contract & Agreement Manager, Engineering
- Peggy Grgich, Manager Financial Operations, FAES
This channel is moderated by Lori Kaser, Associate Director of Grant Development in FAES. It provides information and resources on all things pre-award for the research administration community. Recent discussions on this channel include Public Access Plans at NASA, Discovery Theme Faculty, Budgeting Effort for Clinical Trials, updated fringe benefit rates, and information about new funding opportunities.